For the final a number of years at Weblog we’ve marked the beginning of the New 12 months with a “State of AIP Tackle.” It’s a chance to introduce all the brand new members of our neighborhood to the roots of AIP (learn extra at The Historical past of the AIP Motion), plus assessment the prior 12 months and talk about potential areas of progress for the long run.
We’re not the form of folks to sugar coat issues although and we absolutely acknowledge that very similar to 2020, 2021 wasn’t a 12 months crammed with many highlights. It was one other very arduous 12 months, on so many ranges, for everybody. Behind the scenes, we’ve taken turns cheering one another on when the tanks have been empty or the heartbreaks for both of us piled up.
This publish is to tell the AIP neighborhood about the place the workforce right here at Weblog has not too long ago centered our vitality and the place we’re planning to pay attention it sooner or later. As earlier than, this yearly publish provides you an opportunity for enter and ensures AIP arrives as a mainstream possibility along with your wants out entrance.
So, what occurred within the AIP motion in 2021?
We continued the dialogue on dwelling effectively via a pandemic with autoimmune illness.
Identical to in 2020, we needed to adapt our content material to responsibly share quickly altering science and public well being practices because the COVID-19 pandemic progressed and continued to form all of our lives. The most important, and admittedly most divisive situation going through our neighborhood this 12 months was discussing COVID-19 vaccines for these with autoimmune illness. This matter being arduous to navigate meant we took our duty as neighborhood leaders with a big public platform much more significantly.
As many in our neighborhood determined to get vaccinated within the early days of 2021, we shared a publish, “The Vaccine Expertise In The Autoimmune Neighborhood,” to assist bridge the divide with two concrete steps:
- Step One: Validation – We sought to validate the uniquely demanding circumstances that the pandemic and vaccine choices current for these of us with autoimmune illness. Regardless that this can be a worldwide occasion with far reaching penalties for everybody, we knew our neighborhood wanted understanding concerning the additional stress the state of affairs presents for these with autoimmune illness.
- Step Two: Neighborhood Care For Hesitancy – We acknowledged that within the autoimmune neighborhood there could also be some reputable vaccine hesitancy as a result of complexity of the power illness paths we’re all navigating. We supplied training, not alienation, as an act of neighborhood care.
Greater than something, the final two years have taught us that the instance we set issues. We’re working arduous to actually apply neighborhood care and put the wants of the group earlier than people.
We adopted via on our dedication to fairness.
In 2020 we printed a plan right here on the web site to make sure that anti-racism, range, and fairness have been central to the missions and values of all our companies. We shared these plans publicly so you may maintain us accountable. Listed below are a few of the actions we took this 12 months:
- Together with Sarah Ballantyne, we’ve made monetary assist obtainable to BIPOC well being and wellness practitioners for our AIP Licensed Coach Coaching Program. So far we’ve prolonged $17,679 in scholarships.
- We arrange a direct approach for BIPOC and LBTQIA+ members of our neighborhood to contact us both to discover alternatives or to supply suggestions. Yow will discover that contact type right here.
- We continued to judge collaborative alternatives and declined assist for specific teams and tasks that didn’t align with our work towards antiracist and anti-oppressive neighborhood constructing.
- We redefined our hiring practices, as a result of we worth the variety of information and experiences that BIPOC creators and thinkers provide our enterprise and neighborhood.
- We decided we might sustainably give to BIPOC-lead meals and agricultural organizations each month to deliberately shift cash to the BIPOC neighborhood. So far we’ve got given $1,369.82.
It has been our privilege to assist construct the AIP neighborhood and we take the duty (see a theme right here?) of that privilege very significantly. We hope these actions construct belief with these we function we work to make sure ALL are included in our neighborhood transferring ahead.
This 12 months we taught not one, however two courses of AIP Licensed Coach, which included MDs, NDs, Pharmacists, DCs, RDs, PTs, RNs, PAs, health coaches, psychological well being professionals, FNTPs, CHCs, Herbalists, LaCs, and different varieties of practitioners. We’re overjoyed to share that AIP Licensed Coaches proceed to include AIP into their practices everywhere in the globe. (On the lookout for a coach? Take a look at the AIP Licensed Coach Listing!)
These practitioners at the moment are a part of our rising “military” of AIP-trained professionals, in a position to make an infinite affect on the power sickness epidemic. With thousands and thousands recognized with an autoimmune illness in the US alone, we’re nonetheless rising this military–we’re enrolling quickly for our first cohort of 2022 (go to the AIP Licensed Coach coaching web page for extra particulars and join the curiosity checklist to be the primary to enroll on February 9!).
What’s subsequent for 2022?
A possibility to make AIP extra accessible
Angie started consulting with well being tech startups in 2021 and is taking it additional in 2022. The massive objective is to get our method to autoimmune care into the medical insurance system to dramatically improve visibility and accessibility of AIP and well being teaching.
Angie is consulting with corporations, like WellTheory, to achieve that objective. She shares her information on AIP and neighborhood care, whereas WellTheory leverages what they learn about expertise and knowledge as a way to construct a wellness membership expertise that helps folks on their autoimmune journeys. We imagine strategic collaboration of this type is the quickest solution to change the usual of take care of autoimmune illness.
Making it via one other unsure 12 months
You all know we’re at all times trustworthy with you and as we mentioned initially of this publish, the reality is that 2021 introduced some related challenges as 2020, and our lives continued to be disrupted in a approach that gained’t permit for merely returning to regular. These of us with power sickness already know what it’s prefer to stay with uncertainty, and we’ve already realized how one can navigate life with out well being ensures.
One factor we all know for certain although, is that progress occurs exterior the consolation zone. We all know that a lot consolation has been sacrificed this 12 months, however in time we might even see the ensuing progress as a bonus. Each from extra various folks really feel invited and protected within the AIP neighborhood and from the brand new wants rising to the highest as a result of pandemic that may require inventive downside fixing and larger collaboration.
There you go! This has been your 2022 “State of AIP” Tackle! Whether or not that is your first “State of AIP” deal with, your second, or perhaps you have been round earlier than we began them, we sincerely recognize that you just’re right here with us and hope to serve you even higher in 2022. Glad New 12 months everybody!