1 cup sizzling water
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp kosher salt
chilly water and ice cubes
Primary BBQ Rub (Pork & Poultry):
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tbsp coarse-ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp floor mustard
1 (3-5 lbs) complete rooster
Sides: (see #5 beneath)
pickled inexperienced beans
1. Put together the brine. Mix the recent water, honey, and salt in a small bowl; stir till absorbed. Place the rooster in a big bowl or stockpot, then fill with sufficient chilly water to cowl the rooster. Stir within the water/honey/salt focus and some cups of ice cubes to maintain every thing chilly; place within the fridge or depart on the counter for 1 hour (you may brine for as much as 4 hours, however you’ll want to stick it within the fridge or re-fill ice cubes each hour). Because the rooster brines, mix the Primary BBQ Rub components and put aside.
2. About half-hour earlier than rooster is finished brining, put together your grill (see the illustrations beneath the recipe for a greater have a look at the setup) or smoker. For every methodology, keep in mind that the best temperature is 300F (+/- 25 levels is okay). On your smoking wooden, I like to recommend mild-flavored wooden like apple, cherry, or hickory.
– If utilizing a charcoal grill, financial institution the charcoal to at least one aspect and add some wooden chunks to the charcoal. On the opposite aspect of the grill, place a big aluminum pan full of about 1″ of water or onerous cider; you’ll place the rooster above the liquid, not the charcoal. Gentle the charcoal utilizing twists of newspaper or a chimney starter.
– If utilizing a fuel grill, place two small aluminum pans on one aspect of the grill; put wooden chunks in a single pan, and wooden chips within the different. This can enable the wooden chips to smoke by way of first, then the wooden chunks will end off the job. On the opposite aspect of the fuel grill, place a big aluminum pan and fill it with about 1″ of water or onerous cider; you’ll place the rooster over the liquid. If utilizing a fuel grill, solely gentle the burners which are beneath the small pans.
– If utilizing a smoker, put together the smoker as indicated by the producer; place sufficient wooden pellets, chips, or chunks to offer smoke for not less than 1 hour. For my private smoker setup, I exploit my MasterBuilt electrical smoker mixed with about 1/4 tray of wooden pellets on this A-MAZE-N smoker, positioned on the backside of the smoker. I additionally place one small aluminum pan and fill it with about 1″ of water or onerous cider.
3. As soon as the rooster is brined and the smoker is ready, let’s put together the rooster. Pull it out of the water and pat it dry with some paper towels, then butterfly (aka spatchcock) the rooster – my buddy Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo has a superb information right here. Pat it dry once more with some paper towels then liberally add the Primary BBQ Rub everywhere in the rooster – inside and outside. Add a fair quantity in order that the pores and skin is nicely coated, as within the image above.
4. Place the rooster on the grill or smoker, away from the warmth supply. Keep a temperature of 300F (+/- 25 levels) till the breast and thighs register 165F; for greatest outcomes, use a distant thermometer (this one is my previous standby, however I additionally use and just like the iGrill collection as a result of I can monitor the temperature through my cellphone). It ought to take 1-2 hours relying on the warmth temperature and dimension of the chicken.
5. Take away the rooster from the warmth, and put aside to chill for 10 minutes, then carve. I prefer to deconstruct the rooster by chopping out the thighs, drumsticks, and wings, then carving out every complete breast and slicing them towards the grain.
6. Serve together with your favourite pickled greens. Personally, we prefer to get our pickles from our native farmer’s market and well being meals retailer, to assist artisans of their craft (and it’s tremendous handy). However we additionally make our personal pickles every so often – listed here are three from this website: Pickled Watermelon Rinds, Takuan (Pickled Daikon Radish), and Kabees el Elevate (Pickled Turnips).
*** For Whole30, omit the honey within the brine.