3/4 cup mochiko rice flour or white rice flour
1 lb shell-on shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells retained
1 cup (8oz) clam juice
4 cups rooster broth
1/4 cup ghee
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 inexperienced bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 lb okra, minimize into 1/2″ rounds
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt, extra to style
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or 1/4 tsp Tabasco (kind of to style)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1/2 tsp gumbo filé powder (optionally available, see be aware beneath)
1. Pour the mochiko flour right into a baking tray and roast at 350F till golden brown, about 35 minutes, turning midway via. Because the flour roasts, mix the shrimp shells, clam juice, and rooster broth in a stockpot; simmer for 20 minutes over medium warmth, then pressure out and discard the shells; put aside.
2. Rinse the stockpot, then return to the range. Add the ghee and heat over medium warmth. Add the rice flour and stir to mix; toast till it’s a wealthy brown shade, about 20 minutes complete, stirring continually to stop scorching.
3. Add the celery, onion, and bell pepper and sauté, stirring typically, till softened, about 5 minutes. Stir within the garlic and sauté till fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and broth, then stir to mix. Deliver to a simmer and scale back warmth to med/low. Simmer till the flavors mix, about 1 hour, stirring typically.
4. Stir within the carrot, okra, chili powder, paprika, salt, thyme, pepper, and cayenne or scorching sauce. Simmer till the carrot is tender, about quarter-hour, then style and add salt if wanted.
5. Whereas the greens are simmering, put together the sausage. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium warmth, then add the sausage slices. Brown the sausage on all sides, about 3 minutes per facet, then add to the gumbo. As soon as the greens are tender, add the shrimp to the gumbo and simmer till pink and curling, about 2 minutes. Take away from the warmth, stir within the gumbo filé, and serve as-is or over white rice.
** Gumbo filé powder is typically tough to search out outdoors of the South. You should purchase it on-line, or be happy to omit it – the gumbo will nonetheless be scrumptious!
** When you don’t notably just like the style of okra (many of us don’t), strive including them with the tomatoes throughout step #3; a pleasant lengthy simmer will typically make them extra palatable.
** For a grain-free/Paleo model, use 1/2 cup coconut flour rather than the rice flour, and skip the roasting portion of step #1.