1 cup dried broad (fava) beans or white butter (lima) beans, soaked in a single day
4 lbs beef oxtails
8 sprigs recent thyme, leaves solely (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt, extra to style
1 tsp black pepper, extra to style
1 tsp floor allspice
1 tsp uncooked sugar, natural cane sugar, or coconut palm sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil, olive oil, lard, or bacon grease
1 onion, finely chopped
1 crimson bell pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
4 inexperienced onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Caribbean sizzling pepper sauce, extra to style
2 to three cups beef inventory
2 carrots, peeled and minimize into bite-sized chunks
chopped cilantro to garnish
white rice to serve
fried plantains to serve
1. Place the beans in a big bowl and fill with sufficient chilly water to cowl the beans by 3”; soak in a single day. Mix the oxtails, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, allspice, and sugar; marinate for not less than 1 hour, however as much as in a single day.
2. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high warmth. Brown the oxtails on all sides till darkish and crusty, in batches if wanted, about 8 minutes, turning the oxtails each couple minutes. Utilizing a slotted spoon or tongs, take away the oxtails and put aside. Scale back warmth to medium and stir within the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, inexperienced onions, garlic, tomato paste, and sizzling pepper sauce; simmer till the onions and peppers are very tender and the tomatoes have misplaced their form, about quarter-hour, stirring usually.
3. Return the oxtails to the dutch oven and add sufficient beef inventory to just about cowl all the things. Cowl, scale back warmth to low, and simmer till the oxtails are tender, about 3 hours. Add the carrots about 20 minutes earlier than the oxtails are tender.
4. Whereas the oxtails prepare dinner, put together the beans: drain them and switch to a saucepan, then fill with sufficient water to cowl the beans by 1”. Deliver to a boil over excessive warmth, then scale back warmth to medium-low and simmer till the beans are simply tender, about 55 minutes, then put aside.
5. As soon as the oxtails are tender, fish them out utilizing a slotted spoon or tongs and put aside. Improve the stovetop temperature to medium-high and simmer till the liquid has diminished by half and the sauce takes on a espresso colour, about 10 minutes. Scale back warmth to low and return the oxtails to the pot. Switch the beans to the pot together with about 2 tbsp of the liquid you simmered them in. Simmer for five minutes to permit the flavors to marry.
6. Season with salt and pepper to style then garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.