1/2 pkg (8 ounces) rice vermicelli
2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil, divided
2 eggs, crushed
1 lb shrimp (shell-on, tail-on, or peeled – no matter you’d like)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 shallot, minced
1 (14oz) can coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp purple miso paste
1 tsp honey or coconut palm sugar
1 tsp salt, extra to style
1/2 tsp shrimp paste (or 1 tsp fish sauce)
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp floor ginger
3 kaffir lime leaves (aka makrut leaves)
4oz floor pork
banana leaves to line bowls (elective, see be aware under)
sliced purple chilies
1. Place the vermicelli in a big bowl and canopy with heat water; put aside. Heat 1 tsp oil a wok over medium warmth, then add the eggs. Unfold the egg out as skinny as potential, swirling it alongside the perimeters of the wok, then flip as soon as agency, about 1 minute; cook dinner till simply performed, then switch to a chopping board.
2. There are two methods to organize the shrimp: on the grill or within the wok. To grill, merely place on a preheated grill at excessive warmth till pink, opaque, and the tails have curled, about 3 minutes–flipping midway by the cooking course of (if grilling, I like to recommend you cook dinner the shrimp earlier than step 1 above). Contemplate skewering the shrimp if they’re small and there’s an opportunity they’ll fall by your grill grates. To cook dinner within the wok, improve the wok’s warmth to excessive, then add 2 tsp cooking oil; as soon as the oil is shimmering, add the shrimp and stir-fry till pink, opaque, and the tails have curled. Set the cooked shrimp apart.
3. Set the wok temperature to medium-high, then add the remaining 1 tbsp oil. As soon as shimmering, add the shallot, and stir-fry till beginning to soften however simply earlier than it browns, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, tamarind, miso paste, honey, salt, shrimp paste, pepper, and ginger. Whisk to mix, then add the kaffir lime leaves.
4. As soon as the coconut milk is simmering, add the bottom pork and stir to mix, breaking apart chunks. Enable the pork to only cook dinner by, about 3 minutes, then pull the vermicelli out of the nice and cozy water, switch the noodles to the wok, and toss. Simmer till the noodles take up the liquid, tossing usually, about 2 minutes. Take away from warmth and discard the leaves.
5. Line your bowls with banana leaves, then distribute the porky noodles into the bowls. Thinly slice the egg. High the noodles with shrimp, then serve with bean sprouts, egg, chilies, cilantro, and lime wedges.
** Banana leaves are sometimes bought in Asian and Latin markets, within the frozen part, and are very reasonably priced. They lend a tropical really feel to the noodles, however aren’t crucial for some tasty Mee Kati.
** Tamarind is most continuously bought in blocks of dried pulp, which is on the market in most Asian or Latin markets. To show it right into a paste, merely minimize a chunk of the block and mix with slightly boiling water; as soon as tender, run the pulp by a strainer to catch any chunks, and use the strained liquid.