2 lbs shrimp, head and shell-on (see observe beneath)
1/2 tsp salt, extra to style
2 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 bunch cilantro, divided
8 black peppercorns (about 1 tsp)
1 lb recent or frozen cassava, peeled and lower into 2” chunks
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup diced)
2 medium tomatoes, quartered (about 1 cup)
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup diced), divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2” recent ginger, peeled and grated (or 1/4 tsp floor ginger)
1 (13oz) can coconut milk
4 tbsp sustainably-harvested purple palm oil, divided
1 spicy purple chili pepper (optionally available), seeds and ribs eliminated, diced
1. Peel the shrimp and put aside the heads and shells (I prefer to hold the tail ends on the shrimp, however be at liberty to take away them as effectively). Toss the peeled shrimp in a bowl with a pinch of salt, then refrigerate when you put together the remainder of the meal.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the butter in a stockpot over medium-high warmth. Add the shrimp heads and shells and some pinches of salt, and sauté till the shells are brilliant pink and beginning to crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes, stirring usually to stop scorching. Stir in 6 cups of water, 1/2 tsp salt, the stems from the cilantro, and the peppercorns; deliver to a simmer, cut back warmth to low, and simmer for 45 minutes. Pressure the shrimp inventory and put aside, discarding the shrimp shells and different solids. Wipe the stockpot clear.
3. Add the cassava items to a saucepan and canopy with sufficient water to cowl the cassava by 1”. Carry to a boil and simmer till simply pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes, then pressure and mash with a fork or via a ricer to create a high quality, dry mash. Discard any hardened items.
4. Because the cassava cooks, put together your greens. Heat the opposite 1 tbsp of the butter within the stockpot over medium warmth. Add the onion, tomatoes, and all however 2 tbsp of the yellow bell pepper, and sauté till very gentle, about 10 minutes, stirring usually. Stir within the garlic and ginger and a pinch or two of salt; sauté till aromatic, about 30 seconds, then ladle in 2 cups of the seafood inventory. Simmer till half of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes, stirring usually.
5. Switch the greens to a blender; rinse and wipe the stockpot clear. Pour the can of coconut milk into the blender and mix all the things at excessive pace till uniform, about 1 minute, then pressure via a mesh sieve into the stockpot to gather any unblended tomato skins and different solids. Warmth the stockpot over medium warmth and whisk within the mashed cassava and a pair of tbsp of the purple palm oil, and stir till integrated. Add any of the remaining seafood inventory as wanted to create a chowder-like consistency. Carry to a simmer then cut back warmth to low to softly bubble as you put together the shrimp.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of palm oil in a big skillet over medium-high warmth till shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and brown on either side, about 1 minute per aspect, in batches if wanted to stop overcrowding. Gently stir the browned shrimp into the soup together with the remaining 2 tbsp of yellow bell pepper and the spicy purple chili pepper; improve warmth to medium and simmer till the shrimp is brilliant pink and curling, about 3 minutes. Season with salt to style, then take away from warmth and serve atop white rice, garnished with chopped cilantro.
** To shave off almost an hour’s cooking time, use peeled shrimp and 6 cups seafood inventory as a substitute of peeling the shrimp to make your individual inventory.
** Cassava is usually discovered at Asian or Latino meals markets; in the event you can’t discover it recent, strive trying within the frozen aisle. Frozen cassava is usually accessible in typical supermarkets as effectively.