2 to 4 racks child again or spare ribs
1/2 cup barbecue rub (or your favourite BBQ rub)
1/4 cup apple juice (or 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar + 3 tbsp water + 1 tsp honey)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (or your favourite BBQ sauce)
1. Take away the membrane from the underside of the ribs, if they’ve it. It may be difficult, however try to peel off a nook piece, seize it firmly, and rip all of it the way in which down. It takes some work, however it will expose the meat a bit higher and make for a extra flavorful and tender consuming expertise. Having a tough time? No worries, skip this step and transfer on (there’s a variety of wiggle room on this recipe!).
2. Rub the ribs throughout with the barbecue rub. You don’t must coat it with rub, simply sufficient so that you simply impart some taste. You probably have the time, you possibly can depart the rub on for an hour or two (I wouldn’t go for much longer than that).
3. Put together your grill for oblique smoking (see the illustrated setup under), and shoot for a smoker temperature of about 225F (+/- 25F is okay!). Let a few of that preliminary smoke burn off, in regards to the first 5-10 minutes, which may impart an acrid taste to your meat. Use hickory, apple, cherry, or one other delicate wooden for the flavour.
4. Place the ribs within the smoker and smoke for 3 hours. Remember to monitor your wooden and replenish as wanted. That is crucial time so as to add smoke to the ribs!
5. Subsequent, wrap your ribs with two layers of professional quality aluminum foil. Proper earlier than sealing them up, pour in a little bit of the apple juice; you don’t want a lot. At this level you possibly can both proceed to prepare dinner them in your smoker (nonetheless at 225F), or switch them to the oven to bake at 225F. The smoke received’t actually penetrate the foil at this level, so the oven must be high-quality. Smoke for two hours.
6. Unwrap the ribs, and examine them for doneness. You’ll wish to maintain them with tongs and ensure they bend significantly – like they’re shut to ripping other than gravity alone. Child again ribs generally take longer than spare ribs. As soon as they’re good and flexible, brush with the barbecue sauce, then smoke (or bake) for one more 1 hour, or till the sauce has caramelized. Should you baked them in Step #5 however have the flexibility to place them again on the grill/smoker, positively do this – ending them within the oven must be used as a final resort (or if you happen to’re attempting to save lots of gasoline).
7. Relaxation the ribs for five minutes, then serve. Personally, I like to chop every rib individually with a pair of kitchen shears, to make it simpler for the children to eat. You do you.
Serve it with:
Gluten-Free Southern Skillet Cornbread